ICVA Advocacy Officer - Plan WARO
mardi 3 mars 2015
How to apply :
Your application should include :
· Details of 2 referees, one of whom should be your current supervisor
Please forward all applications to WARO.Recruitment@plan-international.org no later by 5th March 2015
Plan has been hosting the newly created ICVA West Africa hub since January 2014. Founded in 1962, ICVA is a global humanitarian network that provides a platform for increased collaboration and coordination between NGOs and other humanitarian actors. It aims to strengthen humanitarian partnerships, improve humanitarian practices and influence humanitarian policy.
The Regional Representative position needs to be reinforced by a Program and Advocacy Officer.
1-Summary of the position :
The ICVA Advocacy Officer will assist the Regional Representative in her multi-facetted tasks, have full responsibilities for regional NGO related files, represent ICVA at certain meetings, help organize learning events in Senegal and abroad
This is a 9 months fix term contract. The position is based in Dakar at the West Africa Regional Office of Plan International with extended travel to Plan field offices (up to 60%).
Working closely with ICVA Regional Representative, the Officer will
a. represent ICVA in various coordination meetings in Dakar and in the region
b. help prepare ICVA’s contributions to certain debates
c. help logistically and conceptually organize learning events in the region
d. Help map NGO consortia and influential NNGOs in the region and establish regular contact with them
e. Gather and consolidate NGO input for country-specific advocacy opportunities to influence better humanitarian policies
f. Provide briefings for NGOs in the region on the humanitarian reform mechanisms and get NGO feedback via surveys or other channels.
g. Help draft/update a bimonthly newsletter, as well as the West Africa page of the ICVA website ; update the mailing lists and establish regular communication with NGOs through website, email communication, etc.
h. Help advance ICVA strategic thinking on NNGOs
i. Support or catalyse NGO advocacy activities
j. Help write strategic papers
Key end results :
· ICVA is seen as a key strategic thinking partner in the region and invited to take part in all important humanitarian debates.
· ICVA will be able to coordinate and present NNGOs and/ or INGO messaging at the regional and international level
2.Desirable skills and competencies
· Ability to prioritise and manage complex and varied workload, often to tight deadlines
· Able to work independently but function within a team
· Very strong analytically
· Excellent communication skills,
· Excellent written and verbal skills in French and English
· Energetic individual
· Good interpersonal skills
· Ability to think strategically, but also result oriented and get things done
· Ability to work with local, national and international people
Minimum of 5 years’ experience ideally in humanitarian assistance, or general studies
Experience of field humanitarian work in several countries desirable
Experience of research
Direct experience of working with affected populations, local or national NGOs, and/or UN agencies.